The Opening of the New 1955 Hospital (Official Programme)
QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLAND’S GENERAL HOSPITAL
The United Church of Canada
QUEEN CHARLOTTE CITY, B.C.
TUESDAY FIFTEENTH NOVEMBER
O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise
The True North strong and free;
And stand on guard, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
O Canada! Glorious and free!
We stand on guard, we stand on guard for thee. O Canada! We stand on guard for thee.
Father, whose will is life and good
For all of mortal breath,
Bind strong the bond of brotherhood
Of those who fight with death
2 Empower the hands and hearts and wills
Of friends in lands afar
Who battle with the body’s ills,
And wage Thy holy war.
3 Where’er they heal the maimed and blind,
Let love of Christ attend;
Proclaim the good Physician’s mind,
And prove the Saviour friend.
THE DOXOLOGY Praise God from whom all blessings flow;
Praise him, all creatures here below:
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
Mr. Bruce Brown, M.L.A. for Dominion and Provincial Houses
Mr. N.A. English for the Logging Industries
Mrs. G. Frosst for Masset Community
Mr. W. Matthews for Masset Haidas
Mr. W.P. Pruden for Indian Department
Mr. S. Wilson for Skidegate Inlet
Mrs. B. Grant for Tuberculosis Society of B.C.
Dr. Fraser for Indian Health Services
Mr. B. Philips - Clerk of Works
DEDICATION AND CONSECRATION
Opening Sentence - Rev. W.P. Bunt, Superintendent of Home Missions
Scripture - Luke 4:14-21 - Rev. R.G. Connal, Prince Rupert Presb.
Hymn: “Father, whose will is life and good”.
The Address - Rev. L.G. Sieber, Home Missions Convenor
Handing Over of Keys: Contractor - Architect - Church
Unveiling of Plaque - Mrs. Duval and Mrs. Pitt-Turner
QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLAND’S GENERAL HOSPITAL
The United Church of Canada
Opened and Dedicated
To the Glory of God
In the Ministry of Healing
Tuesday, the fifteenth day of November, 1955
“In Quietness and in confidence shall be your strength”
The story of the hospital is part of the story of the Islands. In 1908 ‘The Sawmill’ was set up in the bush of Queen Charlette city. From some of the first lumber sawn went up buildings of residences and stores, and the company donated the lumber for building a hospital. Mr. Ed Wiggins and others voluntarily built the foundations on land that men from Skidegate Mission had cleared. The Company carpenters and George Carmichael completed the building.
Dr. Cross was the first doctor and Miss Lauder (honeybunch) was the first nurse. A succession of doctors followed over the years: Doctors Wright, Winters, Palmer, Bleaker, Charter, Roberts, McColl, Kelley, Burgess, Macdonald, Singer and presently Doctors Watt and Ellingham. We must not omit mention of the yeoman service of such nurses as Mrs. Duval, Mrs. Pitt-Turner, Miss Page and so many others.
The Hospital has had its ups and downs. Many times the doctor and his wife carried on almost alone. Sometimes one nurse worked all by herself. By 1946 the community found itself in difficulty about finances and staff. At that time The United Church Of Canada was asked to assume responsibility for the administration of the hospital. The Church sought doctors and provided residences for them. Since then The British Columbia Hospital Insurance Service has entered the hospital field of management and financing. In 1948 the hospital was declared inadequate, and in 1952 condemned as an unsafe building for a hospital.
The Board of Directors during these years has worked hard toward a new hospital building, and in the last three years have been ably supported by all the citizens and industries of the Islands. Hospital Day on the Islands has been the First of July since the old Hospital opened in 1909. We are proud of our new Hospital and look toward years of even greater service.
How easy it is to forget the costs of a building such as this. This building represents thousands of man hours of work in many cities of many countries. The long hours of planning, first here in this Board, and then by the architects and consultants. There was the careful checking by the government agencies and the local Board. Many changes had to be made. Many of these hours of work and tons of materials and miles of transportation had to be paid for.
The cost in approximate figures is one quarter million dollars by the time the hospital is equipped. Toward the building costs the B.C. Government pay one third which amounts to over $80,000; the Dominion Government pays $1,000 per bed and the Province pays that portion of the second third not covered by the Dominion Grant; that left the community to raise $85,000.
It is fortunate that we have community minded industries which accepted a real share in the building of this hospital. Mr. Norman English is head of the committee of the logging companies and together they raised $30,000; Kelley Logging (Powell River) $13,000, Alaska Pine $10,000, and Crown Zellarbach $7,000. The United Church of Canada donated $20,000, Masset Cannery $1,000, Prince Rupert Co-op (Fisherman’s) $1,000, Canadian Fishing Co. $1,000, The B.C.T.B. Society $5,000, B.C. Packers $1,000, Nelson Bros. Fisheries $1,000, Imperial Oil Co. $100, T. Eaton Co. $100, Simpson-Sears $50. And the local Isalnds people by bazaars, dances, Hospital Days and canvas have raised over $10,000.
In addition to these large amounts contributed toward the Hospital Building industries and local people have generously contributed toward the equipment in the hospital. This equipping of the hospital is not quite complete at this moment and a list of donors will be published later.
Medical Superintendent and Administrator -
W.D. Watt, M.D.
Hospital Secretary -
Mrs. S. deBucy
Staff Doctor -
F.H. Ellingham, M.D.
Miss I. Preston, Reg.N.
Staff Nurses -
Miss J. Fennel, Reg.N.
Miss M. Maak, G.Sch.I.G.
Miss E.Schimkus, G.Sch.I.G.
Miss A. Uberall, Reg.N.
Nurses’ Aides -
Miss B. Stevens
Mrs. M. Picket
Mrs. G. Neubauer
Miss M. Moody
Miss B. Wilson
Mrs. D. Kirkpatrick
Miss T. Stevens
Mr. G. Neubauer
Hospital Board of Directors
Rev. L.C. Hooper, Chairman; Mrs. D. Kendall, Secretary; Mrs. G. Brown, Treasurer; Mr. A. Husband, Water Commissioner (Gov’t); Mr. T. Sheppard (Kelley Logging); Mr. H. Wickstrom (Crown Zellarbach), Mr. W.P. Pruden (Indian Department), Mr. George Rasmussen, Mr. S. deBucy, Representatives of Alaska Pine and other Island Communities.
Ex-Officio - Rev. M.C. Macdonald, D.D., Rev. W.P. Bunt, D.D., Rev. G.G. McLaren, Capt H.S. Hilton, and Rev. L.G. Sieber (All of Home Missions Board of the United Church of Canada.
THANKS ARE DUE TO THE FOLLOWING FOR
BEAUTY OF DESIGN AND HIGH STANDARD OF WORKMANSHIP
IN OUR NEW HOSPITAL BUILDING
WHITTAKER and WAGG
Heating F.T. Gardner, P.Eng. Victoria, B.C.
Electrical Simpson & McGregor Victoria, B.C.
WARD AND SON LTD.
New Westminster, B.C.
Dumb Waiter - Otis Elevator Co. Vancouver
Electrical - Mott Electric Ltd. New Westminster
Finishing Hardware - F.C. Myers Ltd. Vancouver
Linoleum - Layfield & Co. Vancouver
Millwork - Shaw Bros. New Westminster
Paint - Totem Painting Ltd. Vancouver
Plastering - Jas. Cooper New Westminster
Plumbing & Heating - J & F Plumbing & Heating Ltd. New Westminster
Clerk of Works - Mr. B. Philips Masset